Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Another Scare

Emily and I, two pregnant girls, went to the movies Monday night to see another pregnant girl in Waitress. We grabbed breakfast dinner (pancakes, hash browns, and bacon) at Tex & Shirley's first. The food was great, and the service sucked. The girl who checked us out was just stupid and completely unable to understand how much she was overcharging us for food. She was utterly put out when we asked for her manager's held and admitted that we were inconveniencing her. Unbelieveable!

Waitress was great, very sweet and funny, sad and uplifting. Keri Russell was great, and she was incredibly beautiful. Plus, they played one of my favorite Cake songs right in the middle--Short Skirt Long Jacket. It was great to hear that song in this movie!

The scare came after the movie. Of course, the two pregnant girls had to go to the bathroom. That's when I realized I was bleeding bright, red blood. It was a lot of blood and had made quite a mess. I never even realized there was a problem which was scary too. I told Emily what happened and we called my doctor's office. Their recording gives the number for the nurse on-call, so I left a message there. That recording says you should hear back in 15 minutes. I called at 9:05.

We went out and sat on some benches by the video games to wait for the call back. We spent 20 minutes trying to distract each other. Found out Emily has never seen Star Wars! I'm not really into sci-fi, but come on...it's Star Wars! I can't tell you how glad I was to have Emily with me. She stayed so calm and was so reassuring. With her placenta previa, she bled for weeks and is doing better than fine now. I don't think I thanked her enough for her patience and kindness. She's such a good friend.

I was just getting ready to call the nurse again when she called back. She asked a series of questions (how many pregnancies have you had, how many children at home, how long was your labor, etc.) before finally telling me to get home and get in bed. Get up just to go to the bathroom. Lay on my left side. Drink LOTS of fluids. Call the doctor first thing in the morning.

So, we parted ways and had to drive back to Whitsett in an insane downpour with lots of lightning and wind. So fitting! Got home and got right in bed with a giant bottle of water. The next morning I called the doctor's office and got an appointment with my midwife for midday.

Mat took me to the appointment where the midwife did an exam. Apparently my cervix looked great! No inflammation, no bleeding. Then she pulled out the doppler to look for the heartbeat. After a few minutes of fruitless searching, there it was. 174 beats/minute! Just perfect. My midwife thought the bleeding had to do with the subchorionic tear, maybe a clot that dissolved. Since the bleeding had stopped by that morning and we heard such a strong heartbeat, she wasn't concerned. I guess I was concerned enough for the both of us (and about 12 other people too). She thought we might be able to see something at Monday's ultrasound (like the healed tear or if there was any more blood stuck someplace waiting to rush out and scare the hell out of me).

So, all's good again. I'm just about 12 weeks pregnant now, basically done with the first trimester.

No comments: