Friday, November 9, 2007

Long time to go without an update!

I know it's been a long time since I've updated, but honestly there hasn't been that much to say.

I've had a couple of purely routine doctor's appointments...my blood pressure is better now than when I'm not pregnant. At one appointment it was 96/70! If this keeps up, there should be no reason to worry about an induction this time around. Of course, with Braeden it wasn't until 36-ish weeks that the BP spiked for the first time so I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Everything else has been pleasantly (if not somewhat boringly) normal at my appointments.

The one blip was that I got my rhogam shot and even that was an expected ordeal. I'm Rh-negative and there's the chance that the baby could be Rh-positive. So, around 34 weeks I had to get a shot to protect baby P-G and I from killing each other if our blood should mix. Seriously, I can't remember for sure what happens but there's some concern that my negative antibodies would go to work on the baby's positive antibodies and chaos would ensue. If you're really interested, you could google it and find out the full story. Bottom line, I got the shot the first time around and there's a follow-up shot after the baby is born (for me, not him!) and that's the end of the story. The funny part is they give you a card you're supposed to keep (carry in your wallet even) for some number of years in case there's a recall on your batch of serum. Mine is sitting on the island in the kitchen. Mat will tell you it will probably sit there for months until, in a fit of abnormal cleaning energy, I throw it away!

My friends at work (Lisa and Melisha) are throwing me a shower and brunch on November 28! They're too sweet to do it again for the second baby. I'm looking forward to it because I think it will help make this baby's arrival feel more real. I know, I know, you'd think the huge stomach I lead with would do that for me. Or perhaps the heartburn (which has kicked up in the last few weeks) or lower back pain would have made things more real at this point. Or the emotion, akin to panic, in some coworkers' eyes when they ask me for the 100th time about my due date. :) But honestly, the birth still feels light years away.

Oh, and before the work shower comes the Gendle family shower on November 18. Poor Mat has to share his birthday with the baby. He's so not a shower guy...in fact, he's thrilled he has a class to teach that conflicts with the work shower because he doesn't want to be within 100 feet of the balloons, streamers, games, and cake. Mat conveniently had class or something the first time around when my work friends threw me a shower for Braeden. Oh well.

Some of you may be wondering what's going on with the nursery and why haven't I posted any photos of it? I mean, honestly, what's cuter than a baby nursery? Well, the answer is that nothing has changed in the nursery. Oh, wait, I lied and insulted my husband in one fell swoop. Last weekend while I was in Greenville for work, Mat and Braeden bought mini-blinds to install in the nursery and in our second-floor loft. I really hate mini-blinds but the roman shades in Braeden's room look sweet but do nothing to block the light during the day or early morning hours. Not great for mom and dad during nap time or sleeping in. So Sunday, when I was back to watch over Braeden, Mat installed the mini-blinds. He handled the installation fine, but my husband, holder of a Ph.d. from Cornell University, an ivy-league institution, can not operate mini-blinds. He can't pull a cord in one direction to release them and then pull it in the opposite direction to lock them. From outside (where I was watching Braeden play with Natasha) I hear him scream a string of swear words together and immediately imagined the worst. When he came out he was sweating and in a little bit of an altered state. He begged me to go inside and lower the blinds. Just lower them, I asked? That's it, he said. When I went upstairs, the blinds were hanging one side lower than the other...it took me a minute or two to sort out his issue, then I smoothly lowered them, like the mini-blind champ that I am, and came outside whistling a jaunty tune. (Well, not really whistling but I like the image of calm, cool, and collected me confronting a lunatic blind-incompetent man.) Anyway, the blinds are up, so there's progress for you.

No comments: