Thursday, December 6, 2007

Baby P-G Update

I saw Tanya this morning for my 37-week appointment. My blood pressure was great at 120/70 and the baby's heartbeat was perfectly normal at 145 beats/minute.

She checked me and I'm dilated 1 cm (which really means nothing at all, so there's no reason to get excited about that) and about 70% effaced which just means that my cervix is thinning out in preparation for labor. Baby P-G has also dropped down low into my pelvis, another sign of preparation. It also explains the pressure I feel and the really low back and hip pain I've been having for the last few days. Tanya could feel the baby's head. (Sorry if that's gross, Mark...are you still reading this?)

I've been having Braxton-Hicks contractions every day but with no regularity at all. Also perfectly normal and responsible for the hint of dilation I've got and the effacement. Actually having one right now. If you're wondering, they feel like someone put a belt around my belly and is tightening it very slowly then releasing it quickly when the contraction stops.

I go back Thursday for my 38-week appointment. Depending on what Tanya finds during the exam, I could opt to have her strip my membranes which can have the effect of bringing on labor within a few days. It really depends on my status as of the appointment and my own comfort level. I might just be ready to have this baby sooner rather than later, but we'll see what happens over the week and how I feel then.

2 comments:

Emily said...

yeah!! strip those membranes! bring on the baby! :)

Me-ma said...

Exciting news! We're thinking about you. xxmom and dad