Saturday, December 15, 2007

Poor Little Boy Braeden

His blog is really getting the short end of the pregnant stick, isn't it?! It's not that he isn't still the cutest kid in the world. And he still does adorable things all the time. And yet he can also be the naughtiest thing this side of the Mason-Dixon line. It's just hard for me to maintain two blogs, get everything done at work, and get all the sleep I need at night.

So, here's a big catch-up post to give you an idea of what's been going on in Braeden's life. (The worst thing about not posting is that I've mentally posted...when something happens, I think of what I would say about it on the blog, but then I don't actually commit the post to the blog. Bad mommy!)

Braeden got invited to his first birthday party. I didn't realize three was the magic age, but he's since been invited to a second party. Actually, I think the second party was today. Oops! Anyway, the party last weekend was for C.J., a little boy in Braeden's room at school. He's cute, not one of Braeden's bestest friends, but still cute. Mat had to go to traffic detention last Saturday morning in High Point (yes, Mat got a speeding ticket!), so Braeden and I were on our own. The party was scheduled for an hour starting at 12:30 at CiCi's Pizza in Burlington.

I had never been to CiCi's but I know now one of the layers of hell exists right here in Burlington. It's a pizza buffet that serves crappy, dry pizza; salad, if you call iceberg lettuce, shredded cheddar, and some anemic toppings and ranch dressing salad; and dessert pizzas and cinnamon rolls. Fitting the hell moniker, it was HOT, crowded, loud, and overrun with wild, out-of-control children hopped up on caffeine and video games. Braeden ate two tiny slices of pizza and a huge piece of Spiderman birthday cake. And he played in the video game room...they had these racecar games where you sit in a seat and drive the car with a steering wheel. He and Matthew, one of his best friends, had a great time (with no money involved) jumping from game to game driving the racecars. C.J. opened his presents and the whole thing was over around 2:00. I was glad we went, but I was also exhausted afterwards and convinced that I would never willingly go back to CiCi's!

Isabella's party is at the Little Gym, so I think the kids would be doing gymnastics like on the Tumblebus. And again, I think it was today, so now I feel bad for not responding to Isabella's mommy. Isabella LOVES Braeden! He likes her but she really, really loves him. To Braeden, I think she's just one of the girls in his entourage.

Matthew's mom asked me Friday if we would be having a birthday party for Braeden this year. Mat and I really hadn't thought about it. We clearly didn't get the memo that three was the magic age for the party craziness to start! I told her we hadn't thought about it (bad mommy moment #2) and she said she wanted to check because Matthew and Braeden's birthdays are so close together and she didn't want to doublebook. How sweet is that?! Anyway, they're thinking of doing a party on January 19. I assured her that wouldn't be a problem. So there's party number 3. 3 of how many??

Another cute thing I can tell you about is Braeden singing the tumblebus song. He first sang it for us about 8 or 9 months ago, but he clearly didn't know the song very well. He slurred a lot of the words together and got about half of them wrong. But now, now I think he's got it! He's so proud of himself when he sings the song for me. And I love the way he sings it, so I ask him to sing it a lot. I'll shoot video of him singing it sometime soon. I'll even try to post it so everyone else can enjoy it too!

You might remember that we had a lot of issues when we first sent Braeden to day care with state mandates for stuff. Most of the issues had to do with breastfeeding and how much the state mandated had to be in a bottle. Well, the state has stayed pretty much out of our business for the last couple years until now. Turns out there's periodic testing that the state does. If they've done it before, they haven't told us about it. But this week, someone from the state came in and tested each kid and we got a copy of the completed form when they were done. I love tests (I know, I'm weird), so I was very excited to have the results of Braeden's first test.

They asked each kid to recite the alphabet and then circled how many letters he got right in the right order. He got them all! They tested to be sure he could recognize each of them visually and he did! He was able to count to 10 and he correctly identified all the colors they showed him. He pointed to all of the body parts they asked him about except for his ankles, throat, chest, and shoulders. The weird thing here is, he totally knows where his shoulders are and points to them frequently, so I don't know how he missed those. His teacher told us he was the only one in the class to know all his letters, numbers, and colors. He can't cut with scissors but he can follow two-part directions. (Not something we see him do much at home, but it's good to know he can!) So, I feel pretty proud to have such a smart kid!

Anyway, I think this should be enough to tide people over for a while. I'll do my best to type up the posts I write in my head rather than just think about them.

No comments: