Thursday, February 14, 2008

Snow Angel

Out of nowhere last night it started snowing! It had been raining during the day, windy and cold too, but none of the weather guys had been predicting snow. Around 10:00 when Mat was walking around the house with Gage he looked out the window and realized it was snowing. We actually got about two inches of snow, enough to completely cover the ground for the first time this year.


We've had snow this year but for Braeden it was like this was the first snow of his life. He was adorable this morning! I woke up just as Mat was telling Bray it was time to get his shoes on for school. I hopped out of bed, threw my bathrobe on over my pjs and shoved my feet in my boots (no time for socks!). Mat put Gage in his chair and I headed outside with Braeden. He seemed a little concerned when we first got outside, like he wasn't sure what to do.

We went down the stairs and I told him he could touch the snow and throw it around. Bray squatted down at the edge of our sidewalk and wiped his hand across the top of the snow. He giggled but then he realized his hand was wet and cold. He did NOT like this, not one little bit. I told him he could wipe his hand on my bathrobe(what are moms for??) then helped him into his mittens. He went back to his position and began scooping up snow and tossing it around.


When this got old, he tromped through the snow kicking at it and laughing. This was fun until the snow kicked up onto his legs under his pants. He loved stomping on the driveway to knock the snow off his shoes before getting into daddy's car!


All in all, Bray loved the snow this morning! The day care didn't open until 8:00, so Mat and Bray got a late start to their day. Luckily it was Thursday and Mat didn't have a morning class to get to, just an appointment for his allergy shots and an oil change for his Mazda. It was nice, too, because it gave me a few minutes to enjoy the snow with Braeden and capture the moment for everyone else. While I was outside taking these pictures one of our neighbors down the road came out to take pictures of her snow-covered house. It made me think how different this morning would be if we still lived in NY. I still would have taken pictures of Bray enjoying the snow but this would have happened in October or November last year. He would have had a lot MORE snow to play with and more appropriate winter weather gear to wear (his mittens are at least two sizes too big!). If we lived in NY I would have bought him snow boots to wear with his pants tucked in. What's really ironic is that I was talking to my sister last night...she and her husband had the day off from work due to snow. Jeremy was outside shoveling the driveway while we chatted. I laughed and told her how mild it was here and let her know spring was almost here. (My daffodils have started to pop out of the ground!) And then 3 hours later it was snowing here. Karma anyone?


The other big difference between NC snow days and NY snow days? Our snow was almost entirely melted by the end of the day! It's a really good thing I dragged myself out of bed this morning to get these pictures. I would have missed it otherwise.

1 comment:

Me-ma said...

Hey, another difference, snow is still on the ground and it was 15 when I got out of bed this am! Snow isn't going anywhere today! B looked cute playing in the snow and wearing his mittens!