Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's best

Just a quick post, more a pat on the back, I guess...

If you have a couple minutes, click here to read a pretty short article on how breastfed babies are smarter than formula babies. My favorite part of the article is probably where the doctor says moms who breastfeed are different than other moms. In my mind, I substitute better for different.

I usually go out of my way to not offend people and I made a promise years ago not to judge other moms for their choices or try to force them to comply with mine. But seriously, breast is best. And I'm proud of my commitment to doing what's best for my boys. 15 months with Braeden and four months and going strong with Gage.

And in other positive breastfeeding news, there's this article that shows breastfeeding rates have hit an all-time high in the US.

Each night at dinner Gage sits in his little chair on the floor between Mat and me. Lately he's been fussing, so I end up holding him on my knee and eating with my right hand. He likes to sit at the table and see what's going on. Last night Mat said Gage would watch me get food on my fork and then follow the fork up to my mouth and back down to my plate again. Cute. Interest in food is a sign that babies are ready to start trying solid foods themselves. We're going to wait a little longer, though. I'm in no hurry to get him started on that. He's gaining weight well with just breast milk and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nothing but breast milk until 6 months.

But, to make Gage feel more a part of things at dinner time, Mat got the highchair down from the loft this morning. I knew we had gotten a new highchair after Braeden's broke so dramatically, but I had completely forgotten what it looked like. It was a pleasant surprise to see it again this morning.


Mark, if you're reading this, Gage is wearing the outfit you and Jenn gave him for Christmas (or was it for his birth?). It fits him perfectly, and he looks like such a big boy in it! Thank you.

Even my short posts turn into novels. Sorry, guys!

No comments: