Saturday, August 23, 2008

Scary times

It's been a LONG week! Last week when I posted about Gage being sick I had said I hoped he'd get better while we were home during the weekend. No such luck...he actually got worse. I can't go through all the gory details again, but Gage didn't go to day care at all this week. He woke up in the morning with a temperature that would range from 100 degrees all the way up to 103! His temp would normally be at its highest during the night which seemed weird to us. There were a couple nights we were up at 2AM with a fussing baby who had a temp of 102. The easiest thing to do then was to lay him on a towel on the floor of our bathroom so I could try to cool him down with wet washcloths.

Mat took him to the doctor Tuesday. She checked him over and said it was a virus that needed to run its course. His ears were clear, his chest sounded good, even his congestion was pretty minor. Unfortunately the fever didn't go away. In fact, it seemed to be getting worse. The spikes got higher as the week wore on. The three of us were getting pretty tired, too, since Gage's fever was always worse at night. Braeden slept through the night like a champ, so at least we weren't up with him too!

I stayed home with Gage on Wednesday. Since his temp wasn't too high after his morning nap, I took him in to the office. I had a big meeting to prepare for on Thursday and a lot of little things to take care of before I was ready. Gage did great in my office. He played on a blanket on the floor, ate cheerios, and made friends with my new coworkers. Even with a temperature, he's still incredibly charming and sweet with people.

On Thursday Mat had to take Gage back to the doctor when his temp hit 104! So scary! They did a chest x-ray looking for pneumonia. And checked his white blood cell count looking for an infection. For that they had to take blood from his heel. Just an aside here, Mat immediately called the doctor when Gage's temp got that high. I was so glad he did. But what he didn't do was call me. Dads, you always call the mommy. It doesn't matter where we are, we will come home for this! Both the x-ray and the WBC were normal, so the doctor still said it was viral. But just in case, she prescribed amoxicillin.

Since Gage's fever had always been worse at night, we decided to be proactive Thursday night and check it before we went to bed. As tired as I was, I fell asleep in front of the TV around 9:00 and was in bed asleep by 10:00. At 11:30 Mat brought Gage down and took his temperature. 104.9!!!

We gave Gage some tylenol, then I brought him into bed with me and nursed him. Mat brought a couple cool cloths so I could try to bring his temp down a little. And we agreed we needed to take him to the emergency room. Mat wanted to be the one to bring him since I had to go to work the next day, but there was no way I could send my baby out to the hospital without me. When I finished nursing, I threw on some clothes, shoved a couple diapers in the bag, and flew to the hospital.

After checking in, a nurse brought us into a small room to check Gage's vitals. His temp had come down to 103.9 thanks to the tylenol and cool cloths. She sent us back to the waiting room where we spent about 20 minutes waiting to get called back. Gage was a little fussy but not too bad. The waiting room was pretty empty, so I wasn't worried we would have to wait too long.

A nurse brought us back to a room, then left us to wait for the doctor. The doctor checked Gage out and asked about his visit earlier that day to the doctor's office. She wanted to run some tests to check for possible infections. She suggested I nurse him first since they needed to take a clean urine sample. When I finished nursing, two male nurses and a woman came in. The guys started looking for veins so they could draw blood. They also put a plastic bag over his penis hoping to get a urine sample that way. It was actually an ingenious little thing. It fit him perfectly and was sticky so it stayed in place. They figured he would pee when they stuck him with the needle.

First they tried to draw blood from his arm. When that didn't work, they used a vein in his hand. Gage screamed and screamed. His face turned bright red and his head was so hot and sweaty. I couldn't stop myself from crying. The two other nurses held him down so all I needed to do was stroke his head and talk to him. Unfortunately baby Gage didn't pee. So that meant they needed to insert a catheter. It was over pretty quick, but it was so awful to watch! And if Gage's reaction was any indication, he didn't enjoy it either!

The male nurse who did the procedures was great. He has 13-month-old twins, a boy and a girl, so I felt better with him working on Gage. After they were done, we were left alone. It didn't take too long for Gage to quiet down and fall asleep. I laid down on the bed with him, and we both slept a little.

The tests came back clear, but the doctor agreed it wouldn't hurt Gage if we kept giving him the amoxicillin. The male nurse came in with our discharge papers and some instructions, then sent us home. We had gotten to the ER around midnight and we were back home a little before 4AM. We changed his diaper, climbed into bed and I nursed him. Gage and I slept until 8:15. We never even heard Mat and Braeden get ready for school.

Mat stayed home with him Friday and his temperature was normal all day long. It's been a long time since we've been able to say that. And he's back to acting like himself again too. We're just so happy to have this behind us.

1 comment:

Mareike said...

Oh Mel. How very scary. Poor little Gage and poor you. I'm glad the little fellow is feeling better. (I know since you are working you can't blog as much but I look for an update every day. I certainly wasn't expecting this one.) I hope you were able to get some rest this weekend.