Monday, September 15, 2008

Cloth


Just look at all those diapers! All those colors!

I've been thinking about this post for a while. I even took the pictures a few weeks ago. I just never got around to doing it because I wasn't sure if anyone really cared. Besides Emily because she always cares about diapers. I haven't written about them since April (I checked). So...

Everything has been going so well with our cloth diapers. When Gage was home with me (before day care) we used mostly prefolds and fitteds with a wool wrap for a cover. It was easy for me and so comfortable for him. Since he started day care, though, he's usually in a pocket diaper or an all-in-one because those are easy for the ladies at day care to use. Putting one of those on is just as easy as putting on a disposable. They're perfect for day care since we never really know who's going to be changing his diaper.

Speaking of day care, everything has been great since this post. At the end of the day I come home to a wetbag full of dirty dipes and one or two clean diapers that are leftover. I prep the diapers (stick down the laundry tags, dispose of the poop, and remove the inserts) and transfer them to our home wetbag. And I pack a bag of six for the next day. This is going to sound a little OCD, but I never send Gage with all the same kind of diaper. I pack a mix of bumGenius, Thirsties, and snap diapers. Even at home, I usually alternate the kind of diaper. I guess I figure it's better for his bottom to wear something different. Or maybe it's just that I don't like the idea of sending all one type. Like I said, OCD.

But Gage has never had a diaper rash so I must be doing something right!

The one grrr moment since our initial growing pains happened a couple weeks ago. I picked up Gage a little early and nursed him there. That went great, but I couldn't help but remember how I used to go nurse Braeden at lunch three days each week. I felt sad that I can't do that with Gage, but I also felt happy remembering those hours. I especially remember that the chair I sat in to nurse was near one of the other boys' crib. And sometimes Matthew would be awake in his crib while I nursed Bray. He would stand up to watch us and he would talk and laugh. Braeden would get distracted, and I could never stop myself from tickling Matthew or making silly faces at him. Matthew is still in Braeden's room, and the two of them play together. He's an incredibly beautiful boy who (thankfully) seems to have grown out of his minor bullying phase. :) Anyway, after I nursed Gage I packed up his stuff and talked to one of the women who watches him. She's very sweet and was so interested in our cloth diapers right from the start. I commented that it was nice to be going home with three diapers (since I had picked him up early) and she said something about how I only wanted them to change him if he's really, really wet.

What? That's not what I said. That's not even close to what I said. So I reminded her that I wanted them to change him every two hours or when he pooped. Waiting to change him every two hours isn't torture. It's not like they change babies in disposables every 20 minutes. It made me nuts to hear her say that. But I guess if that's the worst thing I can say about the day care, I'm doing good.

My whole reason for posting about diapers was to post some pictures I took after I did laundry one night. I send six diapers and a wetbag each day to day care. I get one or sometimes two unused diapers back at the end of the day. And I wash the diapers every other day. I stuff diapers around 9:00 or so while I'm sitting on the couch watching TV. And I actually enjoy it!

These are the Thirsties. I LOVE these diapers! I love the colors they come in and I love how they fit my kid. I keep buying smalls for him; they should fit until he's 18 pounds. Mat got on the scale with him the other day and he weighed 14.5 pounds. At this rate it's going to be a really, really long time before he reaches 18 pounds! I just bought another one in sky blue.


The bumGenius diapers are the other ones I send to day care. They're also the ones we use for overnight. They just came out with four new colors and I would love to order some except I just ordered two new yellow ones. I guess I ought to wait a little while before I place another order. Plus I have my heart set on a couple new Baby Kangas. I have two--red and pale yellow--and now I'm dying to get two more in green and orange.


Last weekend I stripped my diapers, just the inserts actually. My inserts were starting to look dingy and stained. I didn't think they smelled, but now they really don't. (If that makes any sense.) They look so good, so white. I have one or two I need to put out in the sun to dry to see if that will totally remove the stains. I know. This sounds incredibly anal especially considering the inserts are hidden inside the diapers and the only person who sees them is me. When I do laundry. And occasionally Mat if he helps me get the diapers out of the dryer or walks by while I'm stuffing. But it matters. Trust me on this one.

2 comments:

Mareike said...

I love reading all about the cloth diapering. I'm envious that I didn't have such wonderful diaper options when my kids were babies but heck, at least one of my kids will decide to have a baby some day and this grandma will be the queen of providing cloth diapers.

Emily said...

mmm... i could read about cloth diapers all day everyday.

Thanks for your message about the GM. I love that we call each other over diapers now. I think we have a problem...