Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Random

Emily tagged me to post six random things about myself, so here goes. I'm supposed to tag six more people to answer, but honestly, there aren't any other bloggers in my life to tag! I don't remember what gave me the idea to start blogging three years ago, probably an article in the Times on blogger, but I didn't know any bloggers at the time. All I really wanted was some space on the internet where I could post pictures and tell stories so I didn't have to tell the same story over and over again on the phone. The blog was the perfect way to keep people in the loop. I'm much too lazy to call a bunch of people to tell them that Braeden got a new tooth or learned to say mama.

I think it's great that so many of Emily's friends have gotten into blogging. And I really enjoy reading what they're up to or how their kids are growing. And I read a bunch of blogs of women I will never meet in person, and I feel like I know them so well just from seeing the pictures they post or reading their silly stories. I even enjoy reading posts about absolutely nothing. And it makes me laugh to think there might be people out there reading my blogs and thinking the same thing. So, if you are, consider yourself tagged. :)

My six...

1. I've only met a few famous people during my life. I have no idea what made me think of this, but it is pretty random, so here goes. When I was in high school I took a school trip to NYC to see a show. My friend Dinah and I were walking around Times Square when she grabbed me and hissed, "Look over there!!" She was pointing at a couple who were holding hands. It took me a minute but I realized the woman was Linda Hamilton from Beauty and the Beast. I'm not a Terminator fan so I didn't know her from that even though she was in the middle of shooting one of the movies. Dinah had recognized the man as James Cameron, the director. No one knew they were dating, so this was a pretty big deal. Today someone would snap a picture with their camera phone and send it to Perez, but back then no one seemed to pay any attention. Dinah and I stalked them for a couple blocks before she darted into one of those tacky souvenir shops all over Times Square to buy a pen. We approached them, and they very nicely signed the brown paper bag for Dinah. The only other famous person I've met is Natalie Merchant. And she came to my prom! She was still in 10,000 Maniacs at the time and had a house in Rhinecliff. We chose "These are Days" as our prom theme and my best friend Josh wrote her a letter asking her to stop by. And she did! Crazy, right? She was so nice; she even sang a song for everyone to dance to.

2. I LOVE TV. Gilmore Girls is on ABC Family every day at 5:00 and I record it. I've watched the series from start to finish probably three times. I love it!! The West Wing used to be on Bravo every night which made me sooo happy. For some reason it's no longer on TV. Instead I've netflixed all the seasons and am just a couple discs away from finishing the series. In my opinion, these are two of the BEST shows on TV. Smart and funny. I have more favorite episodes of these two shows than I could even name...I just checked youtube and you can see tons of amazing West Wing clips there including this one from one of my most favorite episodes...



3. I miss my Subaru WRX more than I ever could have imagined. I traded it in for my first Outlander because I wanted a smaller car payment, a car that got better gas mileage, and something that was an automatic because I thought it would be easier with kids if I wasn't distracted shifting. (that one was pretty lame, I know.) I used to blow out Mustangs, Corvettes, and all kinds of stupid guy muscle cars at stoplights. They never knew what hit 'em! It was the greatest thing. And it's one of my big regrets.

4. I love to drive. And I think I'm a great driver. But I can also be a pretty aggressive driver. I like to speed. I definitely tailgate. And I hate getting stuck behind slooow drivers. I get annoyed pretty quickly. Braeden's old enough to understand the things I say and to repeat them back to me, so I've been trying to curb my natural impulses. I find I can't keep my mouth shut entirely. But instead of yelling a bunch of swear words out my window at the moron who doesn't bother to signal or giving the finger to the idiot driving 55 in the far left lane, I try to say something calm and G-rated. It takes a tremendous amount of effort for me! I'm also a big fan of using my horn to let people know when they've done something stupid. But there must be some kind of policy in the South about not honking. I NEVER hear anyone honk at anyone else. And trust me, people drive badly down here.

5. I was a cheerleader in high school. I LOVED it! It was so much fun. Our coach took us to a bar one Sunday afternoon to meet a guy who taught country line dancing. It was something she did and she thought it would be a bonding experience for us. We had such a great time we decided to incorporate the line dancing into our halftime routine. Remember this song?? There's a line dance just for this song, and we used to perform it sometimes at halftime. Wearing cowboy hats. We had such a blast! What made me think of it? On my way home from the grocery store last night, I heard the song on the radio. I haven't heard it in probably 12 years. I cranked the radio and sang along as loud as I could. :)

6. Random was a HUGE word when I was in college. Everything was random. You couldn't have a two-minute conversation with a friend without one of you saying something was so random. "I ran into Mike last night at the cafe. It was so random." Or "My English professor mentioned a poem we read in high school. How random was that?" I'm really happy to say that I hardly ever use the word these days, and when I do, I use it to refer to something that is truly random. :)

And that's that. Six ridiculous, random thoughts...hope you enjoyed them. :)

1 comment:

Mareike said...

Melissa, you crack me up. I can't imagine that you were a cheerleader but (perhaps) that's my hippy bias against cheerleaders. (my oldest sister was a cheerleader so I can't be too harsh.) I have known that you love your cars and driving and in most cases I'd prefer standard transmission to automatic but guess what, I have a 2002 prius and I blow off BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars,Corvettes and Bentleys at stop lights. I'm not kidding. The car is light and has the battery back up so a start from a stop is not a big deal. (I wouldn't want to take any of them on in a rosd race.) Braeden is so sweet as he builds his towers and then has them knocked down by Gage. I did see a little frustration in the video (but who could blame him.) Gage will be walking soon. You'll be fine. Adorable are they both.