Monday, September 29, 2008

Skinny minny

Well. This morning I took Gage to the doctor for his nine-month check-up. If you need a refresher on how his six-month visit went, you can read that post again here.

This morning Gage weighed 15 pounds. He gained just one pound over the last three months. Where he was in the 3rd percentile three months ago, he's now below the curve on the growth chart. If I used to think he was as small as he could be, I now know that's not the case. Gage's length measured 27 inches putting him at the 10th percentile. Given his short stature, our doctor wasn't as concerned about the low weight as she might have been. In fact, she called him delicate or at least said he has a delicate frame. I guess he won't grow up to be a linebacker. :)

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I checked back to see Braeden's measurements at this age. Braeden was 3/4 of an inch longer and weighed 19 pounds 3 ounces. Wow. He was in the 25th percentile for both height and weight. And his hemoglobin checked out normally.

Since he's hitting his developmental milestones, looks happy and healthy, and certainly doesn't look underfed, we mostly just laughed about the growth chart. But she did say we could bump up Gage's calorie intake. She actually suggested mixing a little butter in with his mashed sweet potatoes. And she suggested we add yogurt to his diet so that should be fun.

I'm positive his MeMa will enjoy the thought of getting to fatten up a baby when we see them in a few weeks in Virginia Beach!!

Gage hasn't liked the small pieces of cheese I've tried giving him, so tonight I gave him shredded mozzarella and he shoveled it in almost faster than I could get it on his tray! He had cheese every where, and I HAD to take a picture or twelve!


I couldn't decide which picture to post so you get both!



Gage had to get a shot today and a finger prick to check his hemoglobin level. About mid-morning the doctor's office called. After exchanging messages back and forth, I finally spoke to the doctor. It was a little stressful at first when I realized it was the doctor and not a nurse, but she did her best to calm me down. It turns out Gage's hemoglobin level is a little low which makes him a little anemc. His is 8.9 and the good range is 10-13.5. We have to give him a little medicine once a day for a couple weeks. Then we take him back to the doctor for a more complete panel of blood work. The office gave us an info sheet detailing some foods we should be giving to Gage that are high in iron--green peas, beans (kidney, pinto, etc.), sweet potatoes, and meats. Now that he's nine months old we can start introducing chicken and other meats so that should help too.

I asked the doctor about flu shots and she told us to wait until the end of October. Then we can bring both boys in. Gage will get a shot and Braeden can have the mist. On the way out, I made the appointment for Gage's twelve-month check-up. And I got smart and made Braeden's four-year-old appointment for the same time. We took boys together when Braeden went in for his three-year-old appointment. It's nice not to have to make two trips to the doctor's office at the same.

1 comment:

Me-ma said...

Oh, my little baby Gage needs Me-Ma and some cookies and whipped cream and a big liverwurst sandwich?! We'll get him on the right track for sure. Would you send me those eating cheese photos too? Maybe he will be a soccer star -- I don't think he has to play football to enjoy it! What a cutie!