Sunday, May 24, 2009

Three Day Weekends

Well, sort of anyway. Technically I have to work tomorrow, but the day care is closed so I decided to work just the morning tomorrow and spend the afternoon with my boys.

Saturday afternoon Mat and Braeden went to the pool for the first time this year. Mat brought the vest and kickboard but was hoping Bray would want to swim without the vest this year. And he did! Braeden held onto the kickboard and Mat supported him a little under his chest. And Braeden kicked around the pool!

We went out to dinner Saturday night and after we put the boys to bed, I made a bag. That sounds funny to me. After years of not being able to sew or knit or do anything crafty, here I am knitting socks and making bags. Mom and I bought fabric at Hobby Lobby when they were down for my birthday. Mom bought some too which inspired her to buy herself a sewing machine. I know she's sewn a pillow or two, but I don't think she's done anything with the fabric she bought when we were together.

When I bought the fabric, I was thinking of making a big square tote bag. Then I was reading one of my favorite blogs and got inspired by these bags. The shape more than the size, really. I knew I didn't want a bag nearly that big...everything just falls to the bottom in a bag like that. It's not practical to carry every day.


So I traced a rough outline on paper and decided to just go for it. Not over think it for once. I knew I wanted a pocket on the outside for my blackberry. And it absolutely had to have pockets on the inside for the stuff I need to get my hands on fast. Actually, other than my phone, there's only one thing in my bag that I ever need to get my hands on fast. Lip balm. I live for that stuff.

The last few bags I've made haven't had a flat bottom, but I really wanted this one to be practical and that means doing a gusset. I didn't do one on my last bags because I had myself convinced it was really hard. Guess what? It's not. It's so simple! So this bag has a two-inch flat bottom which makes it really easy to find what you're looking for. When I started it, I had no idea what kind of strap to give it. But as I reached that point, I figured it out. And then I was done. And just like that, in a few hours time, I had designed (in the loosest sense of the word) and sewn a bag. And then immediately filled it with my crap!


Sunday, lazy Sunday. Bray and I went to Dunkin Donuts around 11:30. I had showered and was dressed, but he went in his PJs. Doesn't get more lazy than that. :) We had lunch then headed to Target to pick up a few things and back home again for rest time.

While the boys napped, Mat worked in the garage to put together our new bedside tables. They look great, but the process was tough on Mat. One of the boxes didn't have all the necessary screws, so we cannibalized what we wanted out of it and Mat took it back to the store to exchange it for another. While he cursed the shoddiness of Target's furniture, the boys and I played outside. Gagey rode his little bike around and Braeden played with his Matchbox cars. Both boys had fun playing in a puddle; Gage even sat in it and laughed!

It was so humid out, the kids were sweaty and hot in no time. I brought them in with me and started on dinner--macaroni and cheese. We started eating while Mat finished up the tables and brought them inside.


The new tables aren't the only improvements we've made to our bedroom. Last weekend Mat installed new blinds. When we first moved in, we got white wood blinds installed in all the downstairs windows except the three in our bedroom. Those blinds have been terrific, but I was pretty sure they would let too much light into our bedroom in the mornings. So we went with curtains instead. They've been fine, but we were both just tired of them. Plus, the cat practically lived on the ledge behind them, so the curtains were covered in cat hair. And the boys loved to play behind them so they ended up covered in hair too.


I'll probably end up buying a couple of panels to frame the windows. Maybe some sheers. I'm still figuring it out.

1 comment:

Me-ma said...

Like your new bag a lot and those 2 latest blog entries are terrific. I think you had a very special May! And sitting in a rain puddle sounds just perfect to me!!