Sunday, July 26, 2009

Birds

While Mat and Braeden were in NY, Gage and I had an unexpected visitor. I went out one night to water which means slipping between the front porch and the bushes to hook up the hose to the spigot. Pretty easy, once I got the hang of the so-called quick connect. But before I even got to that point, I had to contend with something else entirely.

When I was unraveling some of the hose from the hose reel I looked over at the bush and saw him.


He wasn't making any noise at all, and he didn't move. He just sat there staring at me. So I sat there staring at him. And all I could think was if I moved he would freak out and fly at my face. Yeah, I can be irrational sometimes.

Anyway, after I looked at him for a while I noticed these little tufts on his head and realized he was definitely a baby. That's when I really started to worry. About him. Had he fallen from a nest? Was he abandoned by his parents? Did he get lost or separated from his family? And then I was thinking I wish Braeden was here to see the baby bird. I really worried about him late that night when the thunder and lightning started. We got an inch and a quarter of rain that night and I stressed that the poor little guy would drown or something. I went looking for him early the next morning and didn't see him. I worried for a minute but then I noticed him on the next bush. Phew. He was safe.

I was glad I had taken a few pictures when a coworker suggested I call a wildlife rehab person I had found online. We were joking about me not knowing what to feed him or if I even should feed him. The woman I spoke with asked that I send her a picture and check to see if he was still there when I got home. He wasn't, but she e-mailed me back to say that he was a fledgling, a toddler bird who was learning to fly. She explained they learn to fly from the ground and are taught by their parents to take cover in bushes. And she told me he's a mockingbird. I'm so glad he found my shrubs to hang out in while he taught himself to fly.

In other news...here are a few pictures of my two boys hanging out.


Look at that smile!!


And here are my boys playing with the hungry hippo. Gagey climbs in and sits (a little awkwardly) and Braeden pushes him up and down the house. It's incredibly sweet and cute. This is a game they both love!

1 comment:

Me-ma said...

see--growing up in the country, the wilds of Dutchess County, equipped you well for dealing with all the wildlife (remember the snapping turtle?). Love the photo of both boys sitting against the same sofa pillow, enchanted with cartoons or something and your old raggedy andy blanket in the photo as well!