Monday, January 25, 2010

The weekend

I don't normally post about me, or just me anyway, but I wanted to share how I spent this past Saturday.

Last fall, I was making visits with a colleague in Durham. We had time to kill, so I suggested we visit a yarn store, Cozy. She browsed the clothes and gifty items section while I found some beautiful bamboo yarn in that section. When she realized how interested I was in knitting, she suggested I meet a friend of hers who is also a knitter. She introduced and we became ravelry friends. (That's an online community of knitters who share patterns, notes on yarn, etc.)

Well, Barbara (my new ravelry friend) was having a birthday and her amazing husband, Ed, contacted a woman she had met at SAFF. (Back in October both Barbara and I went to SAFF, the Southeastern Animal Fiber Festival, in Asheville. I was there with a work friend and had no idea Barbara was there.) Barbara had taken a class with an amazing knitter, writer, and pattern designer named Kathleen Taylor. Ed must have gotten an earful about how fantastic the class was and how much she loved Kathi because he decided to fly Kathi out here (from South Dakota!) for a day of knitting. Ed knew that Barbara had this ravelry friend...he tracked me down and the next thing I knew I was committed to spending the entire day with them and some of Barbara's other knitting friends. Wow!

We had an incredible day. In fact, Kathi sums it up better than I could. And her description comes with pictures, so check out her blog post about Saturday. We dyed yarn, stabbed roving with super-sharp needles, ate, laughed, knitted, asked questions, and ate some more. It was so much fun!

While I was in knitting nirvana, Mat took the boys to see barber Dan, went to the grocery store, and took them outside to play with a couple of the neighborhood kids. It sounds like everyone had a great Saturday!

Sunday was a rainy, lazy day. Gage was running a low temperature during the day (that was 103.8 at bed time) but he was in a pretty good mood all day, not too clingy or fussy. He's home today with Mat since his temp was between 100 and 101 this morning. According to Mat, he's happy and playing like a kid with no temp.

1 comment:

Me-ma said...

Wow -- read everything about that birthday celebration and it sounds like it was a great day for all of you. Thanks for sharing the details. I know so little about most of what you did that day, but am glad you learned a bunch while having fun! sort of makes knit 2 purl 2 sound very simple!!